Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Practicing some good Red songs

Hallo, Genossinnen und Genossen.  It was inevitable, but today my vanity strikes at us all from Hell's heart.

By this I mean I'm posting videos of me practicing, recordings of my poor quality bassistship, poorer quality webcam, and even poorer quality voice

But I rather enjoy doing this and wanted to share it with you-viewership is down anyway so maybe this won't scare too many of you off.


The first one up there is a Puhdys song called "An den Ufern der Nacht"- on the shores of the night- it's actually apolitical (except for the leftists who wrote it and the Communist government who paid for it), but I haven't managed to master their political magnum opus (Frei wie die Geier) yet.

The lyrics translate as follows

When the evening draws silent and the day is at peace, I put aside the haste that almost burned me out
When you take some of the hours for yourself, then there's happily a lot to learn anew

On the shores of the night, the day stops pulling on me
Was it good, was it bad, did I really live?  Did it hold a dream for me?

When the evening draws silent and when I'm here with you
Light and shadow each have their own space
When the truth rises out of fog, and brings such tenderness with it,
For just a few hours time stops for us.

On the shores of the night, the day stops pulling on us
And we rest ourselves before we go farther on
Newly going further on.


These next two should be much more explicitly political:)

 

That one- second- Thälmann Battalion- was first recorded by Ernst Busch during a bombing raid as a show of defiance against the fascists, and exported around the world as a fundraiser for the Republic's cause.







 
Here's one in English, about the Americans who went to fight for the Republic in Spain.


Solidarität, Genossinnen und Genossen

Elise


No comments:

Post a Comment